Therapeutic Peels are applied on acne, acne scars, freckles and wrinkles. Their main components are acids and vitamins.
What kind of peel do we administer when we not only want rejuvenation and shine, but to eliminate acne and its scars along with other spots, freckles and wrinkles? Here are the main peels which have a therapeutic effect, along with what you should know about indications and downtime.
What are Acid and Vitamin Therapeutic Peels?
Acid and vitamin peels are a series of peels containing several valuable components which are particularly beneficial to facial skin. They are an ideal facial treatment against skin conditions such as acne, freckles, wrinkles, scars.
Therapeutic Peels for acne and acne scars
As far as acne is concerned, a specialised dermatologist will identify its stage and, depending on the patient and season, will decide which kind of peel (Easy peel, pH Formula, Sesderma, Obagi, Yellow peel, Phytic acid peel, Blue peel, Mesoestetic etc.) is most suitable.
The drastic substances used are usually mixtures of alpha and beta hydroxy acids, tretinoin, phytic acid, azelaic acid and resorcinol.
For acne we need surface peels to get through to the bottom layer, while for acne scars we use chemical TCA peels (with trichloroacetic acid) or phenol peels in order to go deeper to the upper dermis.
Acne peels are effective treatments against acne factors such as:
- Hyperkeratinization, where skin does not renew its surface layer immediately and effectively.
- The propionibacterium acnes
- Oily skin
- Clogged sebaceous glands
- Dilated pores
After a peel treatment, your skin will be clean, bright, rejuvenated, with fewer imperfections and improved texture. It will be healthier every time. It will be sensitive only during downtime.
What you should know after a peel treatment
- There may be some redness, “pulling”, stinging and itchiness on the face that will gradually go away.
- There will be a mild peel-off after 2-3 days, which may last for 1-4 days.
- You can return to your everyday activities immediately, using a regeneration cream during peel-off.
- Sunscreen cream should be used every day, all year round.
- Regeneration cream should be used morning and night for 5 days.
- In deep phenol peels, a 7-day recovery time is involved which requires abstaining from work.
- Deep peels can only be administered once or twice in your lifetime.
- Intermediate peels can be applied every 15 days or every month, depending on the treatment protocol.
For more information, or to schedule an appointment with the doctor